CopyStar Printer & Printer Driver Installation for Mac Computers
NOTE: You must have administrative privileges on your Mac computer to
complete these instructions.
Download and Install Kyocera Drivers
- On any web browser go to
- Scroll down to the Mac section of the page and download the driver called Mac OS
X 10.5 and up (32/64bt Universal).
- A pop-up window titled "Important Information" containing the license agreement
will appear. Read/scroll to the bottom of the window and click "agree".
- Before leaving the browser, check the preferred download location so you can
find the downloaded file. It may be on your desktop, in a Download folder
or some other folder.
- Safari - Click the Safari label in the upper left corner of the screen, select
Preferences and select the General icon. Look for "Save downloaded files
to:" for the download location.
- Firefox - Click on the Firefox labels in the upper left corner of the screen,
select Preferences and select the General icon. Look for the "Save files
to" for the download location.
- Locate the downloaded installation file.
Double-click on the file/drive named "Kyocera OS X 10.5+…mpkg" to launch
(left below). The
container will expand and display the installation package (right below). Double-click
on the icon to begin install.
- Click continue in the resulting installation window
until you come to the Installation Type step.
- Installation Type step. Enter the username and password of an account
on your machine with
administrator privileges. This is probably NOT your UNR
NetID and password.
- Click Install Software to begin the automated install.
Accept the default settings.
- Click Close when you see
the following – this means that all of the printer drivers have installed
Install the Printer(s)
- Open System Preferences - Go to the Apple in the upper right
corner of the screen.
- In the System Preferences window, choose the appropriate icon for your OS X
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Mac OS X 10.6
- Click on the + at the bottom-left
of the Print & Scan (or Print & Fax) dialog. Select the Add Other Printer
- Control-click anywhere on the toolbar in the Add Printer dialog and choose Customize Toolbar.
(This step is not necessary if an icon labeled Advanced is in the toolbar.)
- Drag the Advanced gear up into the toolbar and click Done.
- Click on the Advanced button. Fill in the settings as seen
below. (NOTE: For Snow Leopard, choose Type: Windows.) To assign the
driver in the Print Using field, select Select Printer
Software… from the drop-down menu. Then search for the
Kyocera CS 6550ci (KPDL) driver, select it and click OK.
- After completing the entries in the Add Printer dialog, click Add.
- You have now installed the Color printer for the Kyocera Copiers. On a Mac, it
is necessary to install a separate, Black & White, driver for the same copiers
to avoid getting color charges for grayscale print jobs. Follow the same steps
as for installing the color printer, but the Add Printer dialog should look like
this (note the change in the URL: field):
- When completed, you should have the following CopyStar printers available to
you. Other printers (non-CopyStar) will also appear in the Printers list.