Departmental Cell Phones (Supported Devices)
Three categories of devices have
been approved and will be supported for business use
at the University including synchronization with
the campus Exchange server. UNR IT will assist
purchasers with needs assessments, recommendations,
purchase, and configuration of supported devices.
In addition, UNR IT has negotiated discounted pricing
and online account management for business and personal
accounts with AT&T Wireless.
Contact UNR cell phone support BEFORE purchasing any
supported devices or selecting and purchasing data
or voice plans. UNR IT encourages purchase of
an unlimited data plan, in addition to a voice plan,
for all "smart" handheld devices including
Smartphones, Blackberries and iPhones to support
email usage. UNR IT will not provide support
for devices other than those listed below.
- Units must provide comprehensive support (100%)
of the Exchange Active Sync (Windows Mobile Operating
- Smartphones are electronic handheld devices that integrate
the functionality of a mobile phone, personal digital
assistant (PDA) or other information appliances into
a single unit.
- Devices running Windows Mobile, or the Windows CE
operating system, are able to sync email, tasks and
calendars with the campus Exchange server via Windows
ActiveSync data synchronization program.
- Ask for Cell Phone Support when calling
Help Desk to get information on compatible
Smartphones and help with purchasing.
- Phones may be purchased by either a University department or
by an individual.
- Employees will be notified when phones purchased by
a University department are received and activated
by Cell Phone Support.
- Help Desk will then help with configuration of the
ActiveSync software for synchronization with the University
Exchange email server.
- Individual users, with appropriate voice and data
plan can bring their activated phones to the Help
Desk for help with configuration to enable access
to Exchange email, calendar and tasks.
- Prior to purchasing a Blackberry device for use
with the UNR email system, call the Cell Phone
Support team at (775) 682-5047 and ask for
- Contact UNR cell phone support BEFORE purchasing an
iPhone for business purposes on a UNR account.
UNR cell phone support will assist you with your
purchase and configuration.
- A UNR iPhone user must purchase an approved data
and voice plan.
- IMPORTANT: The local Apple Store and
the local AT&T stores are not able to set
up phones associated with UNR business account
or Exchange email accounts.
- To purchase an iPhone for personal and/or business use
with personal funds, visit the AT&T Premier site
(see below) or visit a local Apple store. Once
the phone is activated, bring it along with confirmation
of approved voice and data plans for help with access
to the UNR Exchange server.
The University has negotiated special terms for employees
with AT&T Wireless. (A separate contract was
negotiated for UNR students.) As part
of our agreement, all University employees
are eligible to enroll in the AT&T Premier
program. The program offers discounts and
benefits. Existing AT&T customers may
enroll and register their personal numbers for benefits.
For example, in addition to any current promotion
the following benefits are offered:
- 15% discount on all qualified monthly charges
- $50 off any handset (Free handsets are available)
- 25% discount on accessories
- Current features, such as waiver of activation fee
and special off-peak promotions, up to unlimited nights
& weekend minutes
EXCLUSIVE UNR EMPLOYEE SITE
to view calling plans, promotions, phones, or purchase
service online! To verify eligibility, enter your
University email address and the University zip code
(89557). A return email will provide you with offers
and password access to the site.
You may also activate new service by calling AT&T
Wireless at 1-800-999-5445, Option 3. Be sure associate
the account with one of the following Foundation Account
- UNR Employees Foundation Account Number 91518
- UNR Students Foundation Account Number 90950
Visit an AT&T corporate phone store in the Reno/Sparks
area. Identify yourself as University faculty
or staff and provide the appropriate Foundation Account
number listed above.
Contact AT&T Wireless at 1-800-999-5445 with questions
concerning this offer.
* This information is being provided as a courtesy
to you. The University of Nevada, Reno accepts no
responsibility for the accuracy of this information.
For cell phone assistance with institutional orders,
cancellations, feature changes or campus specific
questions, call (775) 682-5047.