Residence Hall Network
All residence halls at the University of Nevada, Reno provide high-speed
Internet access to students living on campus. The University provides the
service; no third party providers are involved.
Follow the steps below:
- Activate your UNR NetID
(you will need a username/password) to connect to the ResHall network
- Get a Patch Cable to connect to the network drop provided. A 6-foot, Cat5, Cat5e, or
Cat6 ethernet patch cable is required.
- Cables are available at the
Computer Den in ASUN bookstore at the Joe Crowley Student Union.
- Do not use a phone wire. Patch cables have a rectangular-shaped plug.
Phone lines have square-shaped plugs.
- Avoid excessive lengths of cable (e.g., keep the cable under 20 feet) to
minimize electronic interference.
- Review the
Computer Security Checklist - computers found to be insecure
or out of compliance with connection policies will be blocked from network access
until the issues are resolved.
the Operating System - machines must have modern (currently
supported) operating systems
Register Your Internet Devices - each computer,
gaming system and electronic device that connects to the internet must be
registered. Devices not registered will be blocked from the
- Personal Desktop Computers - Windows, OS X or Linux/UNIX
- Gaming Consoles
- Wireless Access Points
- Computers running server-type processes such as DHCP, DNS, Web Servers, FTP Servers,
Unacceptable devices compromise the design and security of the ResHall network.
Unacceptable devices detected on the network will lose access to the network (port
and login will be blocked).
ResHall policy or contact the Help Desk
for assistance if you are unsure about whether a particular device is allowed
on the network.